Before we get started, you have a choice of purchasing a Wine Making Kit or Beer Making Kit with either a glass carboy or a Better-Bottle Carboy. As the owners of this web site we highly recommend the Better-Bottle carboy. There are many stories about how glass carboys are better, etc and that is simply not true. Better-Bottle carboys are every bit as good as glass and in fact much better for several reasons.
1) Safer, safer, safer! If you’ve ever had a glass carboy explode in your hands you’ll attest to this fact. Glass carboys can just explode on you for no apparent reason as has happened with this author. We were simply washing the glass carboy and just spraying water into it and crash. Fortunately, all ten fingers and both hands are still intact.
2) After having made over 1,000 gallons of wine in Better-Bottles, we can attest to the fact that they are every bit as good as glass carboys for storage and ageing. We’ve aged fine wines for up to 15 months in Better-Bottles with perfect results.
3) We would never consider using glass carboys again as they are dangerous, heavier and prone to cracking and breakage. Better-Bottles are clearly the better choice.
Don’t think of BetterBottle carboys as plastic – think of them as better than glass, because they are made from a special, scientifically tested, polyethylene terephthalate copolymer (PET), which does not have the disadvantages of other plastics.
BetterBottle® fermentation carboys are:
1) Designed to be strong, scuff resistant, easy to handle, and essentially unbreakable
2) Pure – Taste- and odor-free, BPA-free, DEHP-free, and plasticizer-free
3) Virtually impermeable to oxygen
4) Clear and colorless
5) Incredibly light weight
6) Extraordinarily easy to wash and sanitize (no brushes necessary).
Better-Bottle carboys are not at all like other plastic carboys. The special PET, used to make Better Bottle carboys, is non-absorbing, non-porous, and non-wetting (hydrophobic), so it will not carry over flavors from one batch of wine or beer to the next and it is easier to clean and sanitize than glass or other plastics.
Optional, BetterBottle racking adapters, SimpleFlo™ valves, and DryTrap™ air locks make oxygen-free racking and dispensing simple – no siphoning is necessary. Optional closures, which use O-rings to make tighter seals, are more easily cleaned and sanitized than conventional stoppers. In short, BetterBottle fermentation equipment is better – ideal for home winemaking and home brewing.